Ok, y’all, I am convinced that Pennsylvania is severely Bi-polar and someone needs to put it on some serious meds! Last week it snowed. This weekend we had two days of 80 degrees. Today it’s 54 and we’re back to running our pellet stove! What the heck?! Calgon take me away! Ha ha! I’m showing my age with that reference, aren’t I? And you’re showing yours if you recognized it! Now all the “young uns” are going to have to run and Google “Calgon, take me away!”
Thankfully, I am getting “taken away,” at least briefly. This weekend is the weekend before Mr. T and my 20th anniversary, as well as my 51st. birthday. (If you keep them together like that he’s bound to remember at least one of them, right?!) We’re spending the weekend at a B&B in lovely New Hope, PA. Have you ever been to New Hope? New Hope is a wonderful, charming, artsy town. We went there the day Mr. T proposed, and spent a long weekend there for our honeymoon. I’m looking forward to even just a couple of days away from the daily grind, chaos and controversy of life.
But, for today, I’m going to bring a little controversy into our lives. Don’t worry, we’re not talking finances, religion, or Heaven forbid, politics! We’re talking – LEGGINGS! Should you or shouldn’t you? Who can and who can’t? And, if you do, how? These are questions pondered by fashionistas and non-fashionistas alike the world over! Everyone seems to have an opinion on leggings…at least when they’re walking through Wal-mart and they see someone wearing a pair inappropriately! Then they not only have an opinion, they feel the need to share it all over social media!
So, what is the correct way to wear leggings?
First of all lets lay down the 411 on WHO should be wearing leggings. Are you ready? ANYONE who wants to! Not what you were expecting a stylist to say, is it? Leggings have no age limit or weight limit. The faux pas in legging wear is not about WHO’s wearing them, it’s about HOW they’re wearing them.
6 Tips for Wearing Leggings:
- Yoga Pants ARE NOT leggings. Sorry chickies. I know this is a disappointment to many people, but they’re not. Yoga pants are for, well, yoga. For working out. Or at least looking like you work out. They’re for the gym or around your house. They’re not for public consumption.
- Leggings should not be see-through. If you can see through your leggings they have ceased being leggings and are now “tights”. Either get rid of them or stop trying to wear them as leggings.
- Along this same line of thought, make sure your leggings fit properly! When you bend over there should be no “plumbers crack” – even if you are shopping in Wal-mart!
- Leggings should have some “weight” to them. This is the reason that some people get an attitude about curvy women wearing leggings. The problem is not the woman’s body, the problem is the quality of her legging. This is true regardless of the size of the woman. When you purchase your leggings, find a good quality legging with a little weight behind it. It should feel “substantial”. It should be significant enough to not show a panty line. Another, no-no with leggings. 4b. Never ever ever show a panty line! Take the time to find the correct legging and the correct undergarment.
- Remember, Leggings really aren’t pants. There are rare few women who look good wearing short tops with leggings. They usually flatter best worn with tunics or long tops or with layered looks.
- CAUTION: This is simply a warning. Light colored and patterned tights will make your thighs look larger (and your butt, if you’re wearing a shorter top) If you have nice slim thighs and you’re ok with this, or you just don’t care, go for it. But, if this is something you’re self-conscious about, you may want to keep this in mind.
What Are Some Good Ideas For Wearing Leggings?
Leggings can be a great, versatile asset in any woman’s wardrobe. Just remember – keep it classy and then make the look your own!
Until we meet again!